Applying for grants for individuals
You will be aware that Kent Community Foundation has a number of funds which offer support to charitable organisations in Kent and Medway, but did you know that we also award grants to individuals and families?
Ten key facts about our grants to individuals from our Grants Team:
1. We have five distinct funds which focus on funding individuals.
2. Priorities are young carers, children with disabilities/SEN and disadvantaged/vulnerable children, adult carers.
3. Funding for families is available in certain circumstances – for example, a holiday for a mother and daughter both caring for the husband/father or new school uniform for three siblings.
4. There must be a clear financial disadvantage underlying each request.
5. We cannot accept requests for something which local/national authorities have a statutory duty to provide – for example, we would expect the NHS to provide a standard wheelchair, but we would consider a request for an adapted/specialist chair, which the NHS would not fund.
6. Applications must be made by a professional third party – teachers, nursery staff, doctors, charity staff, social workers etc.
7. Referrers should be specific in the application form – be sure to include supporting documentation for the amount requested (a quote/invoice/email/price screenshot etc.)
8. Referrers should also give an overview of the financial situation of the individual/family (list benefits received (although not amounts), number of hours worked in the family etc). We need to be sure that these grants reach those individuals who most need them.
9. Nominees must give permission for data about them to be used by KCF – if this will pose a problem, please contact KCF for advice.
10. Our individual grants expert is Joanne – please contact her with any questions – no matter how trivial you think they are via firstname.lastname@example.org 01303 815 152